Dear Friends and Neighbors:
SUPERBOWL SUNDAY is approaching, and what better place to get ready than the Dorchester Winter Farmers’ Market from 12-3pm at the Great Hall in Codman Square! See your friends and neighbors and be part of the excitement.
- Getting ready for your Superbowl party? Stillman’s Farm will be having specials on meat; great cheese for snacks is available from Lawton’s Family Farm; and celebrate the Pat’s Victory with a rum cake from Good Measure Bakery. Use carrots and other fresh vegetables as Superbowl snacks!
- Nervous about the game? Get a complimentary 10 minute chair massage from Heart of Boston Massage. Soothe your nerves listening to the music of Bethel Steele.
Please continue to spread the word that SNAP participants can use EBT cards at the Winter Farmers’ Market, and will get HALF OFF through the Boston Bounty Bucks (Get $20 of food for only $10)
Here’s the line up:
February 5th: SUPERBOWL SUNDAY—GO PATS!
- Team Bowdoin-Geneva (made up of players from the Food in the ‘Hood Committee and the Bowdoin Street Health Center) will help staff the market, and will be sharing information about their healthy food access campaign including the Bowdoin Geneva Summer Farmers’ Market, Farm to Family CSA Program, Senior Healthy Champion Youth Employment Program, and Healthy Corner Store Initiatives! They’ll also be providing photo ops for visitors to try on their farm-fresh uniforms! Come learn about their work and cheer them on!
- Career Opportunities: Representatives from the Boston Building Trades will be at the Winter Market during February and March to help people explore career opportunities in the Construction Trades. Reps will take turns being available from the following unions: Carpenters, Masons, Ironworkers, Electricians, Pipefitters, Operating Engineers, and Laborers.
- Free Book swap continues—due to popular demand!
Stillman’s Meats (Superbowl specials on Hot Dogs, Pork Ribs, Sausages and Brisket)
Proofed Artisan and Traditional Bread
Good Measure Bakery
Codman Crafter Catherine Joseph with Glass and Jewelry
1-2pm: Bethel Steele returns on stage with lyrical music
“Picture Yourself as a Farmer” Photo Op!
1-3pm: Complimentary 10 minute chair massage by Heart of Boston Massage
What’s Going on in Dorchester:
Learn more about the Initiative to build a new Food Coop in Dorchester. Come by theDorchester Community Food Coop table to get information and buy a Winter Farmers Market T-shirt.
Check out the Dorchester Winter Farmers Market Facebook Page for the latest news and great pictures of the market!
The Dorchester Winter Farmers Market is a project of the Dorchester Community Food Coop. Thanks to staff and students from the Codman Academy Charter Public School for running the book swap and reading to children, and to the Codman Square Library for signing up folks for library cards. Many thanks to the hundreds of supporters who have volunteered time and donated resources to make the market possible. Please join us in giving thanks to the growing number of local organizations and businesses who have provided funding and in-kind support for the Winter Farmers’ Market:
- The Boston Foundation
- Sustainability Guild International
- Boston Collaborative for Food and Fitness (for support of the Bounty Bucks program)
- Codman Square Health Center
- Carney Hospital
- Codman Academy Charter Public School
- Codman Square Neighborhood Council and the B.O.L.D. Teens
- Boston Natural Areas Network
- Ashmont Grill
- Eastern Bank
- Shawmut Design and Construction
- Expressway Toyota
To volunteer at future markets, contact Sarah Cadorette firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking forward to seeing all of you at the Market!
The Dorchester Winter Farmers’ Market Team