Happy New Year to all the friends and supporters of the Dorchester Community Food Co-op. It has been an incredible year of imagining what a new co-op could mean for Dorchester.
Our first project is about to launch—we hope to see many of you at the
Grand Opening of the Dorchester Winter Farmers’ Market at the Great Hall in Codman Square this Sunday, January 8 from 12 to 3pm.
Mayor Menino and other dignitaries will join us at 2 pm for a ribbon cutting ceremony. It will be a busy day—so be sure to come early enough to take part in all the activities! The market will open at noon, and will welcome EBT card holders. Bounty Bucks will be available to double the value of SNAP purchases up to $10.
Here’s the line up for January 8th!!
- Silverbrook Farm
- Powisset Farm
- Oakdale Farm
- Stillman’s Meats
- Lawton Cheese
- Proofed Artisan and Traditional Bread
- Good Measure Bakery
- Planet Goga: original silk screened clothing from Dorchester artist Sierra Rothberg
Health and Children’s Activities
- Heart of Boston Massage Therapy (1-3pm): 10 minute chair massage by Dorchester native Marie Owen
- Ashmont Nursery School will be there with face painting and children’s crafts
- The Second Line Social Aid and Pleasure Society Brass Band (1-2 pm) will get us moving with their “raucous, stomp-your-foot-and-belt-out-the-choruses” New Orleans-style street band music.
What’s Going on in Dorchester
- Codman Academy Charter Public School: learn about this innovative high school located right here in Codman Square.
- Dorchester Community Food Co-op: stop by to learn more about the progress of the Food Co-op organizing, take our Co-op Survey, and enter a raffle to win a cookbook: “Boston Uncommon: A Culinary Journey Through Boston’s Distinctive Neighborhoods.”
After the Market
- Monday Night Wine Club at Ashmont Grill: A four course meal with wine pairings for a fixed price of $38. Throughout January, $5 of each meal will be donated to the Dorchester Community Food Co-op. Owner/Chef Chris Douglass will be focusing the dinners on winter produce available at the Farmers’ Market. Reservations for Wine Club should be made by the Sunday before each Monday:617-825-4300. Great fun to bring your friends!
To volunteer at the Market in the coming weeks, contact Sarah Cadorette email@example.com
Many thanks to the hundreds of supporters who have volunteered time and donated resources to make the market possible. Please join us in giving thanks to the local organizations and businesses who have provided funding and in-kind support for the Winter Farmers’ Market:
- Boston Collaborative for Food and Fitness (for support of the Bounty Bucks program)
- Codman Square Health Center
- Carney Hospital
- Codman Academy Charter Public School
- Codman Square Neighborhood Council and the B.O.L.D. Teens
- Ashmont Grill
- Eastern Bank
- Shawmut Design and Construction
- Expressway Toyota
Looking forward to seeing all of you at the Market!
The Dorchester Winter Farmers’ Market Team