A co-op is a member owned, member controlled business that operates for the mutual benefit of all members and according to common principles established for cooperatives:
- Voluntary and open membership
- Democratic member control
- Member economic participation
- Autonomy and independence
- Education, training and information
- Cooperation among cooperatives
- Concern for community
- Environmental responsibility
How Does It Work?
- Households make a small investment of $100 to become member-owners of the Dorchester Community Food Co-op. (this membership equity is a one-time purchase, and can be paid over time)
- Every member has one vote.
- Every member can run for the Board of Directors.
- The store will be open for all to shop.